Bed Bug Extermination
Bed bugs have become the bane of homes as well as businesses. They can arrive on used furniture, picked up on travels, or brought in by guests. They can cause bites, but often people have no indication they have a bed bug infestation, as not everyone gets from or rashes on their skin.
It's important to find them early on, when possible. Bed bug extermination is much easier and far less expensive to treat when it's a minor infestation compared to treating one that has become more widespread. Know what signs to check for.
Signs of Bed Bugs
Below are signs that you bed or home has been infested by bed bugs:
- Dark spots (about this size: •). These spots are bed bug excrement, and can bleed onto the fabric.
- Reddish stains on your sheets or mattresses. These are caused by the bed bugs being crushed.
- Tiny eggs or eggshells, or pale yellow skins that nymphs shed as they grow.
- Live bed bugs.
Since they are so tiny, they can hide in many places on a bed, including the piping, seams and mattress tags, even in cracks on the bed frame or headboard.
If you have a heavy infestation, you may find them in the folds of curtains, in the seams of chairs and couches, in drawer joints, in electrical receptacles, under loose wallpaper, and even in the head of a screw.
Treatment Methods to
Eliminate Bed Bugs
Heat Treatment for Immediate Extermination
The heat treatment exterminates bed bugs and their offspring immediately, as opposed to chemical treatments, which takes a few days to kill them off.
To treat with heat, our technician, a Pest Management Professional, brings in specially designed equipment to raise the temperature in the room or your home. Heat treatment will kill the bed bugs and eggs within 90 minutes at 118°F or immediately at 122°F.
The technician will place thermometers throughout your home ensure the heat is high enough to kill the bugs; the air temperature will reach between 135°F and 150°F. The entire process will take 6-8 hours.
Because of the high heat needed, people and pets will need to be out of the home. Heat sensitive items should be removed from the area. Anything not treated with heat will need to be treated another way, so be sure to discuss this with the technician.
Since your home could become reinfested after a heat treatment, preventative steps will need to be taken in the form of a residual insecticide, which will be applied to the border of the room or the home. Aprehend® works well in conjunction with the heat treatment.
Non-Toxic Pesticide Treatment with Aprehend®
A new, safe treatment, Aprehend® is a 'Ready to Use' oil-based formulation that requires the use of a specialized low volume spray gun. The product is sprayed in a band along box-springs, baseboards, headboards and other places where bedbugs walk.
As bedbugs cross the band, the spores stick to them — “like grains of sand on wet feet” — and are carried back to the insects' hiding places, known as harborages.
The spores kill bedbugs within four to 10 days following contact with a treated surface.
Homeowner preparation is key to fast and effective bed bug extermination. You will receive detailed information on how to prepare, but here are the basics...
- Pick up dirty clothing and place in sealed garbage bag until it can be washed and dry at high heat for at least 40 minutes.
- Dispose of trash - place in large garbage bag, seal and put in trash can away from the house.
- Strip sheets, pillows, comforters and all other bedding and place in large garbage bags. These should be washed and dried at high heat for at least 40 minutes.
- Remove all clothing from drawers, wash and dry per recommendations above.
- Clear all items from under the bed (keep clear for at least 2 weeks following treatment)
- Remove all items from desks and tables.
- Pull all furniture at least 3 feet away from the wall.
- Vacuum floor, air vents, and vacuum or wipe off dust from baseboards. Dispose of the bag in a trash can away from the house, sealed in a plastic garbage bag.
If you have a bed bug infestation, call us today to discuss the best way to treat your room or home. Our pest control technicians are highly trained in cutting-edge bed bug extermination techniques and will ensure your problem is taken care of quickly and efficiently.